Search This Blog

02 April 2014

TESOL 2014: Successful!

Did you attend the TESOL 2014 convention in Portland, Oregon? What were some of the awesome sessions that you attended? This was my first time attending TESOL, and it was great.  There are so many sessions, and presenters, and attendees that it felt a little overwhelming. I attended some great sessions, including a PCI on Motivation given by Dr. Neil Anderson and his colleagues from BYU. It was fabulous, and I will plan a post summarizing the research that they found. I attended several others on topics including graduate student writing, using TED talks in a listening/speaking class, and using idioms in the ESL classroom.

ELT for the next generation, TESOL 2014 International and English Language Expo, 26-29 March 2014 Portland Oregon, USA
Image via TESOL.org


Additionally, my colleagues, Danielle Petersen, Alisha Fisher, and I presented on flipped learning. If you're unfamiliar with flipped learning, it's where most of the instruction (through video, audio, or reading) occurs at home and interactive activities happen in class. Here's a short video we shared in our presentation that will give you an idea of what it's all about.

Danielle also created a live binder, which has TONS of great resources to get your started if you're a newbie or to hone your craft if you have experience with this teaching method. 

I traditionally use audio and reading in my flipped classes (I haven't flipped a class for the whole year... it's just one method I employ), but this summer I am looking forward to trying my hand at videos in a couple of grammar classes. 

Have any of you flipped a class or whole course? I'd love to hear what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment