Search This Blog

18 February 2015

Introverts Learning Language

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Myersbriggs.org asks, "Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)." I'm definitely an extrovert... I get energy from being with other people, and I definitely focus on the outside world. I've always wanted to know and understand what's going on around me. For more on personality types, you can visit the Myers & Briggs website. One of my favorite blogs, A Cup of Jo, also has a less academic run-down of introvert versus extrovert.

Image via joannagoddard.blogspot.com
Language teachers often (always?) tell students to go out and meet people! Go and talk to native speakers! But what if you have students who are introverted? Who don't enjoy meeting new people and feel tired after social events? Transparent Language provides some suggestions for introverts who are learning a new language:

1) Join an online community 

2) Get a one-on-one tutor online 

3) Sign up for an online class

4) Take time to recharge with individual activities 

I think these are great suggestions. Introverts could also seek out a one-on-one tutor in person, as working with fewer people is often less draining than in groups. Student should also go to teacher's office hours (in higher education) where they will get some individual attention from the instructor. What are some other strategies that you suggest to introverted or shy students? Or strategies that you yourself use?
Image via findresumetemplates.com
P.S. I'm ENFJ... What are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment